Students and teachers prepare for AP exams

Remi Williams

Redhawks will participate in the English STAAR EOC field test on Thursday morning.

Saachi Kuchu, Guest Contributor

With AP tests starting in May, classes on campus are gearing up for the end of the year exams. 

AP Biology teacher Chris Ham suggests students keep things relatively the same as far study habits go.

“I would think that study strategy should remain more or less the same since the exam is still based on the same course framework,” Ham said. “Just like any other year, make sure you have a strong foundation on the content of your AP exam.”

Using practice tests to study allows students to apply the content and find skills they’re not good at.

“Once you build a strong foundation, take practice exams to practice applying the content and identify any weakness in your content,” Ham said. “Then you repeat the process.”

A good way to study is by recalling important facts and practicing skills with time constraints according to AP U.S. History teacher Sarah Wiseman.

“The best way to prepare for AP exams is to go through flashcards for memorizing important facts,” Wiseman said. “And to practice skills using the same time constraints as the test.”

Wiseman also suggests students focus their areas of studying. 

“Do not go back and study things that you did well on,” Wiseman said. “Make sure to focus on the facts or skills that you struggled with.”

Studies show that spaced out studying is more effective than cramming 90 percent of the time. Instead, Ham suggests doing something fun and getting enough sleep.

“Trying to study right before the exam can sometimes do more harm than good. Do something fun and prioritize getting sleep,” he said. “At best, a quick review or refreshers on content is what I recommend.”

Similarly, Wiseman suggests sleeping and eating properly before the exam.

“The day before the exam should be focused on making sure you’re eating and sleeping properly,” Wiseman said. “So that your brain is ready to perform at its best.”

When stumped on a really difficult question, don’t be afraid to skip it and come back later.

“Remember that grades are relative. If a question is really hard, it’s probably really hard for other students too. The curve will even that out,” Ham said. “Also, be comfortable bouncing around the questions. You don’t have to go in order. Skip around and answer the ones you know and come back to the harder or longer questions.”