Staff shares skills in new series “Reality Bytes”

youtube.com

Rishika Desai, Guest Contributor

Classroom learning is one thing, but real life can be a whole lot different. To help students learn some life skills, the school has launched the “Reality Bites” videos designed to teach students skills that will help them later in life. 

“The reason we are showing these life hack videos in advisory is because of our whole-child initiative,” Assistant Principal Tony Escoto said. “As education evolves, our focus is just not about the academic aspects of education but looking at the whole child and providing an opportunity for students to develop skills that will be needed as they mature and become adults.”

The videos cover a range of topics, from how to bake chicken to how to pump gas. Biology teacher Chris Ham taught students about credit. 

“There are countless skills that adults learn throughout their lives. This program helps our students learn some of the major ones to help with the adulting process,” Ham said. “Credit score is very important for obtaining loans. Majority of us will likely need some form of loan (buying a house/car). It’s important for our students to understand how credit score functions.”

Escoto took the initiative to create these videos to give students an opportunity to gain a foundation for being responsible adults. 

“The expectation of the videos is not to master a skill but rather give you something quick and easy to view,” Escoto said. “Since many students will begin to take on more responsibilities at home, it’s about the experience of showing you how to do something or how something is done, like baking chicken or using an app to find the cheapest gas.”

History teacher and coach Kenneth Schiumo, who took a video pumping gas, feels that students will benefit from these videos. 

“I think it is important for students to know [these skills] so that they have confidence in their daily lives the same way they have confidence in their abilities in the classroom or on the athletic field,” Schiumo said.