Four words, happy story

Up+until+this+Thursday%2C+staff+and+students+have+the+opportunity+to+compete+in+a+4-word+writing+contest.+

Maddie Aronson

Up until this Thursday, staff and students have the opportunity to compete in a 4-word writing contest.

Shreyas Viswanathan, Staff Reporter

The deadline for one of the shortest writing contests is Thursday as students and staff compete to compose the happiest story possible in four words with the winner of the contest receiving a gift card. 

“This is a really fun way to spread some positivity while encouraging students to stretch and flex their creative muscles,” English teacher David Barr said. “Limiting the story to four words forces you to really consider how you can tell an entire story without any of the normal things stories are made of. The goal of a contest like this isn’t a talent scouting mission to find only the brightest, most successful students and reward them for that. The main goal of this is to encourage our student body, and spread some positive thinking.”

Providing a means to exercise their creativity is something that sophomore Anaya Garg believes is a great way for students to express themselves.

“I think that these contests are a great way for students to express themselves and divergently think because in school, classes follow a syllabus and it has components that test the students’ knowledge on only what they have learned,” Garg said. “I think that I am creative in a way that I can think of solutions or alternatives to a problem which is what makes me want to stay creative. I feel happy when I have successfully done the work, and just plain humor. In addition, finding answers to my confusion makes me feel happy because it clears up the anxiety I feel and I am able to follow a certain path.”