FCCLA advances to state competition Thursday

5+FCCLA+students+on+campus+have+advanced+to+state-level+competition%2C+and+have+the+ability+to+partake+in+a+conference+held+in+downtown+Dallas+this+Thursday+through+Saturday.+

provided by Meghan Champagne

5 FCCLA students on campus have advanced to state-level competition, and have the ability to partake in a conference held in downtown Dallas this Thursday through Saturday.

Shreyas Viswanathan, Staff Reporter

It’s off to the state level for five Redhawks who earned the opportunity to compete in the Texas Family Career and Community Leaders of America(FCCLA) state conference from Thursday to Saturday at the Sheraton Hotel in downtown Dallas. 

“As advisors and family consumer science teachers, I know I speak for all of us when I say we are so proud of the academic risks and accomplishments of all of our FCCLA students,” Liberty FCCLA advisor Jessica Fisher-Hattey said in a district news release. “They took a year like no other and represented our district with grace, professionalism, and leadership.”

Junior Varda Khan, who placed third in the Interior Design Level 3 category, was responsible for making use of design principles to create different features of a house and believes that interior design can be a career choice.

As part of our project we created 3 boards with different features of the house,” Khan said. “There was a board for the floorplan, 3D perspective, and all three included materials and pictures of furniture that we handpicked to match the client’s taste. Additionally, for our final presentation, we had to include principles of design and how the furniture, various materials, and who the room belonged to, correlated with it in our speech. I think interior design could be a career choice for me, that is why I did this project; to get more experience and to be confident in what I like or what I possibly might go into in the future.”

The campus was recognized as the 5A school in Region III that collected the most donations for their service-learning project PB&J Drive for Frisco Lovepacs, organized by Mackenzie Cobb, the campus FCCLA President and Texas FCCLA Region III VP of Competitive Events.

The event experience was very unique due to the circumstances this year, but I felt very comfortable since it was a place I was used to: on Zoom in our interior design teacher’s classroom,” Khan said. “My teammates and I were excited and proud of ourselves. We found out the day after our competition that we placed for state. I felt extremely proud of us and how we pulled everything together, especially the speech and presenting part.”