8 wrestlers advance to regional tournament

Finishing+in+top+three+of+their+respective+weight+classes%2C++Mitchell+Borynack%2C+Stephanie+Qiu%2C+Michael+Breslav%2C+%0ACole+Hebert%2C+Seth+Hayes%2C+Mercede+Alvarez%2C+Nihar+Jalla%2C+and+De%E2%80%99Leon+Freeman+advanced+out+the+of+the+District+8-5A+District+tournament+at+Lebanon+Trail+High+School.+

used with permission from @RedhawksWrestle

Finishing in top three of their respective weight classes, Mitchell Borynack, Stephanie Qiu, Michael Breslav, Cole Hebert, Seth Hayes, Mercede Alvarez, Nihar Jalla, and De’Leon Freeman advanced out the of the District 8-5A District tournament at Lebanon Trail High School.

Remi Williams, Sports Editor

It’s on to the UIL 5A Region II tournament for several Redhawks wrestlers after finishing in the top 3 in the District 8-5A tournament at Lebanon Trail High School.

“I think it’s great having your athletes qualifying for regionals because it allows them to continue to develop their talents while leading the younger team members,” head coach Cody Bridwell said.

Eight Redhawks advanced to the regional tournament including junior Cole Hebert who finished 2nd at 138 lbs.

‘We fought really hard and we performed to the best of our ability,” Hebert said. “We also had two guys guys finish higher than their seeding.”

The regional tournament is set for Friday and Saturday at Prosper Rock Hill, with the team keeping things the same for the most part.

“We really don’t change much of anything in our practices. We do, however, speak on handling pressure situations successfully,” Bridwell said. “Our only goal is to make it to one of the top three places on the podium. How we go about that is different for each athlete and the kind of competition they will face.”

Regional Qualifiers:

Boys:
113 Nihar Jalla (3rd)
126 Mitchell Borynack (1st)
138 Cole Hebert (2nd)
152 Michael Breslav (1st)
160 Seth Haynes (3rd)
195 De’Leon Freeman (3rd)

Girls:
119 Stephanie Qiu (1st)
128 Mercede Alvarez (3rd)