Frisco ISD to open intermediate school for grades 5-6 in 2023

Mady Daddario

The district is asking families and staff to fill out end-of-year surveys. Seniors will fill out the form during advisory on Friday.

Ana Cuen, Managing Editor

Between Alma Road and Dr. Kenneth Cooper Park, the first Frisco ISD intermediate school is planned to open for grades 5 and 6 in the fall of 2023. Designed by architects with Huckabee, the campus is expected to foster a creative and collaborative environment to meet the needs of that specific age group. 

“We’re excited to implement this new school configuration and explore the academic, social and emotional learning opportunities it presents,” chief academic officer Dr. Wes Cunningham said in an FISD news release. “It’s a chance to start from the ground up with a creative instructional design based in collaboration and experiential learning experiences.”

Not only to promote Future-Ready Learner key skills, but the intermediate school is also expected to lessen the number of students at elementary schools including Comstock, Elliott, Ogle and middle schools like Scoggins, Lawler and Vandeventer. 

While the zoning plan will not be released until fall of 2022, the elementary schools zoned for the intermediate school will serve up to fourth grade and Scoggins middle school will hold the seventh and eight graders. 

“The new campus should create more consistency and stability for students and families within the Emerson feeder pattern, helping with school transitions and allowing students to maintain relationships over time,” deputy superintendent for business and operations Dr. Todd Fouche said in a FISD news release