Applications open for new Diversify Our Narrative members

provided by Athena Tseng

Diversify Our Narrative Frisco team members gather on Zoom for a meeting. The student-led campaign dedicated to fighting for more diverse and anti-racist curriculum in classrooms is currently seeking new team members for the 2021-2022 school year with applications due Wednesday at 11:59 p.m.

Jordan Battey, Staff Reporter

Diversify Our Narrative Frisco, a student-led campaign dedicated to fighting for more diverse and anti-racist curriculum in classrooms, is currently seeking new team members for the 2021-2022 school year with applications due Wednesday at 11:59 p.m.

“We are looking for people who are passionate about diversity and inclusion, especially in schools,” DON Frisco co-lead sophomore Athena Tseng said. “We want to find people that desire to make a change in the world and see those changes reflected in their community. For specific traits and skills, we want students who are organized, hardworking, reliable, and respectful.”

This FISD branch of the larger DON organization is led by Tseng and freshman Maya Silberman, with interested students being able to apply via a Google form for positions such as team lead, social media manager, and outreach manager.

“We have all task-based positions open for new members,” Silberman said. “Some roles have more openings than others, but there is at least one opportunity for every single task oriented position. Additionally, The application process is relatively simple. There is a  to fill out, in which you can apply for as many or as few positions as you would like to. The application includes 3-4 questions so we can learn more about your experience and motivation. After that, there will be a short one on one interview, just for us to get to know you and for you to get to know us.”

DON FISD applicants should be high school students or incoming freshman, however the organization welcomes all backgrounds, genders, and sexualities. 

“There are no requirements to be in DON,” Silberman said. “We want to know if anyone has previous experience in activism or a specific skill set, but we primarily want to give people the opportunity to come into our organization and learn. The main things we look for are the drive and motivation to make change, and as long as our members have that, we can reach our goals.”