UNICEF set to discuss climate change Tuesday

"Vote Earth Tree" by Earth Hour Global is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

The impact of climate change on children is scheduled to be the topic of discussion at Tuesday’s UNICEF meeting at 6:00 p.m. “We’ll be discussing some initiatives UNICEF is involved in to better the climate such as the Paris Agreement, and President Biden’s Infrastructure Plan that he recently announced,” junior, club president Tarini Pankanti said via email.

Ashika Deshpande, Staff Reporter

With its monthly meetings discussing a wide range of issues, UNICEF invites anyone interested to join a virtual meeting on Tuesday at 6:00 p.m to learn about the environment and climate change’s effect on children. 

“We’ll be discussing some initiatives UNICEF is involved in to better the climate such as the Paris Agreement, and President Biden’s Infrastructure Plan that he recently announced,” junior, club president Tarini Pankanti said via email. “Recently begun including current events, so we do outside research for this part of our presentations, but it just depends on the topics the officers are most passionate about”. 

The meeting will conclude with officers showing club members different ways to get involved. 

“We’re encouraging our members to write to our legislative officials Representative Van Taylor, Senator John Cornyn and Senator Ted Cruz regarding the importance of protecting climate change and to text CLIMATE to 52886 in order to stay updated on these situations,” Pankanti said. 

Next month’s theme will cover Sustainable Development Goals

“The reason why us officers make these meetings is to spread advocacy and to educate students about issues we usually don’t face in our lives,” senior, club vice president Megan Gi said via email. “I also hope members grasp the importance of their voice and use it to advocate for issues like climate change or incorporate some new sustainable practices into their daily lives.”