Texas Trio event offers information on UT, Tech, and A&M

Property taxes in Texas are one of the biggest issues being discussed by the Texas legislature right now with many lawmakers hoping to lower taxes. In August, Frisco ISD lowered its tax rate for the year, but in general, Texans pay a higher proportion of their home value toward property taxes, than homeowners in almost every other state.

Shreyas Viswanathan, Staff Reporter

Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and The University of Texas at Austin are hosting a Texas Trio virtual event for all Frisco ISD 11th-grade students and parents April 28 from 6-7:30 p.m. where students and parents can learn more about each campus while exploring various opportunities for education within the state.

“Students will hear a 15 – 20 minute presentation from admissions counselors from all three institutions followed by Q/A,” Texas Tech Undergraduate Admissions Counselor Brian Rice said via email. “The event will provide insight into important updates and tips for the admissions process. Students and their parents can learn more about the three universities (Texas Tech, A&M, and UT Austin), what programs they offer, and what the admissions/financial aid process looks like.”

Junior Praneeth Akkineni suggests that the end of sophomore year is one of the best times to start the college planning process, and also believes that attending a virtual college event can help in getting more information.

I feel like having the opportunity to attend this event and expand my knowledge of colleges in a non-virtual environment is welcome, especially since a lot of institutions have defaulted to virtual meetings and recorded presentations,” Akkineni said. “By sophomore year in high school, students have already had 2 years of experience with courses and may choose to take specialty courses such as those offered by the CTE center, which may expose them to various professions that they may find interesting.”

The fact that Texas has multiple options for higher education is something that junior Sriya Devulappalli believes can be beneficial to those wanting to attend in-state.

“I think Texas, being the 2nd largest state, has many options for higher education- each special to specific majors,” Devulapalli said. “Rice, UTD, UT Austin, Texas Tech, and many more are great schools that international students look into for popular majors like psychology, engineering, biology, and business. I am interested in any Texas college when it comes to in-state but of course, states like California and New York are also home to a great variety of college institutions.”