UIL choir sweeps the stage at districts

Though+in+a+virtual+format+this+year%2C+all+29+students+received+the+highest+rating+at+the+competition%2C+and+many+now+look+to+improve+as+they+prepare+for+regionals.+

Kia Dunlop

Though in a virtual format this year, all 29 students received the highest rating at the competition, and many now look to improve as they prepare for regionals.

Vidula Pandian, Guest Contributor

District UIL Solo and Ensemble contests are over with Redhawk choir scoring well in this year’s virtual format

“At the regional [UIL] the 29 students from Liberty each earned a rating of superior (1) which is the highest rating you can achieve,” choir director Toni Ugolini said via email. “The preparation this year was so different than in years past. There had to be so much more individual accountability on the students, especially those who were at home. Many of the students who entered solo contest are virtual, and I only got to hear them sing their solos once or twice before their final submissions.”

For sophomores like Sahana Raghuraman, the UIL contest sets a precedent to her upcoming competitions.

“[This year] I competed in the UIL solo for the first time, and I think I did well and got very good feedback,” Raghuraman said via email. “I have been learning classic Indian vocals since kindergarten. [And] when I entered [my] freshman year at Liberty, getting into choir was a natural choice for me to further my passion for singing. Choir continues to teach me about knowing your role well to make the team better, and I hope to compete again next year and advance to State.”

Sophomore Srividya Nalladdhighal agrees that competitions furthers her as a singer. 

I love getting the chance to sing and have fun with my friends in choir while doing it,” Nalladdhigal said via email. “I just like having the opportunity to improve my singing, which is why I compete. I did a solo this year, and it went really well. I got a 1, and also good feedback from the judge that I used to help improve my singing.”

The virtual state competition will be held on Memorial Day weekend.

“I’m so proud of the hard work these students put in under these circumstances,” Ugolini said via email. “I guided them, but everything they achieved they had to do through their own intrinsic drive and motivation, and that’s exciting to see. I can’t wait to see what they accomplish moving forward.”