Baseball hosts Rock Hill as playoffs begin

Kicking+off+playoffs%2C+baseball+will+play+against+Rock+Hill+Thursday+at+7%3A30+p.m.+where+it+will+be+the+first+of+best-of-three+series.+The+team+looks+to+begin+strong+hoping+to+win+the+first+game+and+carry+their+momentum+into+the+rest+of+their+games.+

Kicking off playoffs, baseball will play against Rock Hill Thursday at 7:30 p.m. where it will be the first of best-of-three series. The team looks to begin strong hoping to win the first game and carry their momentum into the rest of their games.

Remi Williams, Sports Editor

For the first time in six years, the baseball team is back in the playoffs with the Redhawks hosting Rock Hill High School in a best-of-three series that starts Thursday at 7:30 p.m. 

“Our goal is to win this first game,” junior Ford Shippy said. “So we’re going to start off strong in this series and win and establish dominance.”

No matter what happens in Friday’s game the two teams will also play Friday night at Rock Hill, with a third and final game, if necessary, at Reedy High School Saturday at 1 p.m.

“I kind of like that because it’s not just like one game decides, or not, you still have a chance even if you lose,” Shippy said. “I think just because it’s playoffs. We have a lot of energy and we just really want to win, and that’s what I’ve been waiting for.“

Overcoming predictions by finishing second in District 9-5A, senior Will Glatch hopes to continue the team’s momentum and demonstrate the skills all the way to state. 

“At the beginning of the season we were ranked fourth and going into season ranking had us four in district,” senior Will Glatch said. “Obviously that gave us a chip on our shoulder to be like, ‘we’re going to win district. We’re going to show everybody that we’re better than the teams they picked above us.’ We didn’t get our first goal, but our long-term goal is to keep playing down until June down in Round Rock state tournament.”