Student vaccination numbers fast-moving

Michael Martin

All Texans, 16 and older, are now eligible to receive their vaccination for COVID-19,

Andrew Jáuregui, Staff Reporter

With all Texans, 16 and older, eligible to receive their vaccination for COVID-19, more and more students have received their first dose, or both doses of their vaccinations. 

For the past year, COVID has impacted the lives of many student’s and their families, and senior Carter Bianchin was ready to help get things back to how they used to be.

“I saw how COVID-19 affected others, including my sister, and I wanted to get it as soon as possible,” Carter said via text. “I chose to get vaccinated to protect myself from COVID-19, so that I along with others can live our lives kind of how they used to be. I was on five waitlists until I received my first dose. After my first shot (I had Moderna), I had a sore arm starting around 12 hours later and lasted for about three days. As for my second shot thus far, I did feel the shot go in a little more, but overall everything was great, and I am so happy I chose to get vaccinated.”

For Carter’s parent’s Matthew and Lindsey Bianchin, protecting their child from the disease that has taken the lives of hundreds of thousands in the United States alone was the first priority.

“We felt great because he is now essentially immune to COVID-19, which is a good thing,” Matthew and Lindsey said via text. “The pros I considered before getting our child vaccinated would be that he would be protected from COVID-19 and be safe. The cons would be the side effects and the pain associated with the vaccine obviously.”

A recipient of the Pfizer vaccine, Tulsi Rampali believes that the chance to socialize with friends again was worth the side effects.

“I wanted to get vaccinated so I can hopefully go back to hanging out with friends more often or at least having more assurance that I was not as at risk,” Tulsi said via text. “I took the Pfizer vaccine, which meant I had to take it in 2 installments. Both times my arm was sore for a couple days, but with the second dose, I got a fever for a few hours, which my mom and dad also got after their shots.”

For Tulsi’s mother Geeta Rampali, giving her child the chance to return to her school life was a high priority when deciding whether to get her child vaccinated.

“I scheduled the appointment as soon as I could so that by the time august comes around she has the chance to go back to school in person,” Tulsi’s mother said via text. “I knew that there were some side effects like fevers or chills after the second dose, but those weren’t as important as being at risk for the virus.”