Singing Rogers to Ramsey, choir to perform in band parking lot

Sophomore Isabelle Raade sings during choir. Anywhere from 30-80 students will participate in a spring choir concert in the band parking lot Tuesday at 7 p.m. 

Alize Shahzad, Guest Contributor

Anywhere from 30-80 students will participate in a spring choir concert in the band parking lot Tuesday at 7 p.m.  All students are welcome and no tickets are required, people just need to bring their own seating.

“The theme for this spring concert is Broadway  which is something completely different from what we are working on prior to the show, during our competition season,” choir teacher Toni Ugolini said via email. “We tried to select songs from all the different eras dating back to 1920 and we prepared similarly to our other concerts with in person and zoom rehearsals.”

The students are singing songs arranged by Lisa DeSpain, Richard Rogers, Mac Huff, Evan Hansen and Andrea Ramsey

“We are going to sing Hamilton Highlights songs, I love the theme and the songs are amazing,” sophomore Romina Torabi said via email. “We have to audition for the solo parts of the songs and probably by Sunday this week we will know who will sing which solo parts.”

Students can choose not to participate in the choir concert as some might feel uncomfortable during COVID-19.

“I like that Ms. Ugolini made it optional to come to the concert for those in virtual because it is allowing for people to still feel safe,” junior Liam Piper said via email. “However, they aren’t allowed to perform solos in the group songs which I think is good because it would make it much more complicated than just having a person who will be at the concert in person singing it.”

However, sophomore Caroline Caruso has a positive opposite view.

“I am grateful to be performing in-person and to me it’s very refreshing to have a change in pace, especially since we’re in that final stretch before school gets out,” Caruso said via email. “It’s kind of like our last moment to perform, so being able to express ourselves through the music is quite rewarding. This year has presented so many challenges, so being able to end it with a high note is fantastic.”