Marking May as AADPI Heritage month

The+month+of+May+is+a+celebration+for+Asian+American+Pacific+Islander+Heritage+month.+The+month+of+AAPI+sheds+light+on+individuals+from+the+entire+Asian+continent%2C+including+South%2C+Southeast%2C+and+East+Asia%2C+and+the+Pacific+Islands+of+Melanesia%2C+Micronesia+and+Polynesia.+

south-korea-flag-by-theglobalpanorama-via-creative-commons

The month of May is a celebration for Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage month. The month of AAPI sheds light on individuals from the entire Asian continent, including South, Southeast, and East Asia, and the Pacific Islands of Melanesia, Micronesia and Polynesia.

Urja Joshi, Guest Contributor

May is Asian American Pacific Islander Desi Heritage Month, a time to recognize “the contributions and and influence of Asian Americans and Pacific Islander Americans to the history, culture, and achievements of the United States.” But this year, the month comes at a time with an increase in anti-Asian hate.

“I feel like AAPI Heritage Month being celebrated in the midst of all the violence against the Asian community right now is really important,” sophomore Jayna Yoon said. “I think that a lot of Asian people struggle with assimilation when hearing about violence against their community, but the best thing we can do is really hold onto and cherish our heritage, rather than try to hide it.”

Senior Nandika Chirala feels similarly about the timing of AAPI Heritage Month.

“I think that the timing of AAPI month coincides really well with the recent public (and justified) uproar in response to anti-Asian hate,” Chirala said. “It’s really important to note, however, that these events aren’t isolated and they haven’t only been occurring recently.”

The rise in anti-Asian hate crimes coincides with racial stereotypes derived from the COVID-19 pandemic. However, these hate crimes are not the only ones as anti-Asian violence reaches as far back as the 19th century. 

“Anti-Asian racism has been a system issue for decades, and only recently have there been serious media converses and news outlets focusing on this issue,” Chirala said. “The way that this system and the rhetoric spewed by people in positions of power exploits and harms members of the AAPI community. I’m glad that this month is AAPI month, because it will encourage people to either begin or continue having difficult conversations about this topic, and it will push activists to pressure politicians into taking real change.:

This yea the acronym has been expanded to include South Asians as well, with “D” added in for “desi”, the people, cultures, and products of the Indian subcontinent and their diaspora. 

“I always thought AAPI included Desis because we are also Asian but the focus was on East Asians,” senior Sarah Ahmed said. “I understand that we should also have a heritage month to recognize our culture but the timing of this change is really ironic. Also most Desis are literally Asian and I think most people associate the term Asians with East Asians so naming the month Asian American AND Desi is repetitive but also will increase the misconception that Desis are separate from Asians.”