Despite pandemic, yearly theatre banquet takes place

Pictured+above%3A+the+theatre+departments+fall+showing+of+Singing+in+the+Rain%2C+back+in+2018.+Within+the+span+of+a+few+months%2C+freshman+Nicholas+Giles+has+experienced+an+entire+musical+production%2C+while+also+finding+a+new+hobby+in+the+process.+In+this+weeks+edition+of+Artistic+Expressions%2C+Wingspan+sits+down+with+Giles+as+he+talks+about+his+passion+for+acting.+

provided by Kyle Strickland

Pictured above: the theatre department’s fall showing of “Singing in the Rain,” back in 2018. Within the span of a few months, freshman Nicholas Giles has experienced an entire musical production, while also finding a new hobby in the process. In this week’s edition of Artistic Expressions, Wingspan sits down with Giles as he talks about his passion for acting.

Rishika Desai, Guest Contributor

The theatre department is having its yearly banquet in the courtyard outside of the auditorium Friday. 

“We had our induction a couple of weeks ago, but the banquet is more of a fun, student-led event where we don’t have to follow a specific script,” senior Chloe Zonis said. 

Usually, the induction ceremony and the banquet are held simultaneously at a venue, but because of COVID, plans had to change. 

“The banquet and the induction are at different times this year, but we just couldn’t have it at our regular place with all of the precautions we need to take,” theatre teacher Heather Willingham said. “Being able to have it in the courtyard adds that extra layer of safety, so at least we can have it in the first place.” 

The banquet usually consists of performances and giving out awards. 

“We have the director awards, which are from Ms. Willingham, the peer-to-peer awards, which the students voted on, and the golden screw awards, which are ‘funny’ awards that the officers come up with for each person,” senior Annelise Best said. “It’s a really fun way to be recognized for all of the work we did this year and remember some of the good times we had.”

Being a senior, the banquet is bittersweet for Best. 

“I’m really excited for the banquet,” Best said. “But at the same time, it is my last one, and we weren’t really able to have a very good one last year.” 

However, being the theatre troupe president, she believes it’s a good way to end her high school theatre experience. 

“I get to be a big part of the planning process this year and give a lot of the awards,” Best said. “I’m happy I’m going to be able to finish off my senior year celebrating the people I’ve spent the last four years with.”