Band falls back to pre-COVID routine

David Wang

The Redhawk band department returns back to pre-pandemic procedure as the mask mandate and social distancing guidelines have been lifted. “The biggest challenges we have been facing the past four weeks already during our summer band camp has been reestablishing and building the culture and climate of the band program,” assistant band director Tyler Elvidge said. “The underclassmen have never gotten to experience a true high school band season so we are relying on our upperclassmen and leadership team to set the standard.”

Jordan Battey, Managing Editor

As the new school year rolls around, the Redhawk band department is working together to re-establish pre COVID-19 normalcy.

“Returning to normal has allowed us to bring our private lesson teachers back on campus for private lessons and for our marching band camp sectionals,” Assistant Band Director Tyler Elvidge said. “Having all of the students back in person has allowed us to do more music making and a more competitive UIL marching band show.”

Since students still have the opportunity to wear masks and practice social distancing, junior trombonist Lily Pienhardt feels comfortable with the department’s decision. 

“I agree with the decision to revert to pre COVID-19 procedures because a lot of the band is vaccinated, and there aren’t many ways to continue band in a fun way without shedding some of those procedures,” Pienhardt said. “So, I am really looking forward to the bus rides and game days because it’s always fun getting to be able to feel the excitement of the marching season with the people you love most.”

However, according to Elvidge, this development will not come without its challenges.

“The biggest challenges we have been facing the past four weeks already during our summer band camp has been reestablishing and building the culture and climate of the band program,” Elvidge said. “The underclassmen have never gotten to experience a true high school band season so we are relying on our upperclassmen and leadership team to set the standard.”

Junior Alex Monroe chooses to remain hopeful about band’s success this year.

“I am most looking forward to seeing how well the new members can adapt to the new challenges and commitments that come as a part of a normal year in band and how we can grow past the difficulties of the last year as a group,” Monroe said.