A new proposition: K-6 given option to return to virtual learning

In the eyes of Managing Editor Caroline Caruso, some of the most memorable life experiences stem from days in elementary and early middle school. Caruso expresses her opinion on K-6 students having the option to return to virtual learning this school year.

Jay Schlaegel

Caroline Caruso, Managing Editor

Frisco ISD reintroduced the online school option for grades K-6 just nine days before school began Thursday. Unfortunately, it seems the infamous Delta strain will not be leaving us any time soon, which poses a great concern for Texas parents who are left with the weight of recent reports that indicate that the unvaccinated, predominantly K-6 children, are at the highest risk for contracting Delta.

Upon hearing the news, my first thought was of our FISD teachers. After days of preparation, classroom setup, and excitement for new students, it seemed last year’s struggles were finally cemented into the past. Wait, just kidding. Parents had a brief window to change their learning environment for the online option that begins Monday, meaning some classes will be split in half, or become entirely virtual. 

Unable to relate to the parent perspective on this situation, or make the decision for these families, as a student, I find it rather upsetting that some of these kids will not be returning to normalcy like the rest of us. 

I just imagine putting myself into the shoes of these kindergarteners who have dreamt of walking through those classroom doors for the first time in their lives, or the 5th graders who were inching closer to the overly anticipated Pine Cove trip in the fall. 6th grade is a huge year as well. I still remember my first day of trying to sift my way through the seemingly enormous hallways of middle school and somehow memorize the names of each of my eight teachers. Just as recent research has indicated many students who spent the 2021 school year virtually suffered a loss of learning, it’s safe to say these school years are crucial ones, too precious to be spent sitting in front of a laptop. 

This sudden change in learning environment options brings mixed feelings. I acknowledge the heightened sense of fear many feel, but I am so sick and tired of hearing every single situation is “uncertain” and “too soon to tell.” So in the end, will what we believe right now in August still hold as we’re transitioning into September and beyond? It almost feels like a guessing game, which happens to be at the expense of some children, who will once again learn from a computer rather than face to face with a teacher.