Rhea of Sunshine: wear your masks

Morgan Kong

In this weekly column, Wingspan staff reporter Rhea Advani provides her take on a variety of topics.

Rhea Advani, Staff Reporter

Hello Redhawks! I hope you guys have had the most fabulous summer break and I’m excited to have everyone back on campus. The last year and a half has been insane but I look forward to getting back into the swing of things. 

Now that all students are back on campus and virtual classes aren’t really taking place anymore, we are definitely exposing ourselves to more people and more surfaces. Last year, even if you were on campus, there’s a good chance you weren’t exposed to much since there weren’t as many students on campus. However, that isn’t the case this year. Everyone is on campus so everyone is being equally exposed to everything. 

Because of this, I believe that it is extremely important that students on campus wear a mask at all times. Even though Frisco ISD has made this policy optional (students can decide for themselves if they want to wear a mask or not), I think that it shouldn’t be. Students should indeed be wearing masks especially because there is a new strand of the disease called the Delta Variant.

Speaking of, others might argue that they are vaccinated, which is great, but the vaccine doesn’t protect against all of the strains. Because of this, just to be on the safe side of things, students should be wearing a mask at all times when they are on campus. 

In my opinion, I believe this is the safer option. After the great losses that have resulted from the pandemic, we should be protecting ourselves and others around us.

All in all, wear your masks everyone!

Have a great week!