Theater opens the curtains for fall musical auditions

Pictured+above%3A+the+theatre+departments+fall+showing+of+Singing+in+the+Rain%2C+back+in+2018.+Within+the+span+of+a+few+months%2C+freshman+Nicholas+Giles+has+experienced+an+entire+musical+production%2C+while+also+finding+a+new+hobby+in+the+process.+In+this+weeks+edition+of+Artistic+Expressions%2C+Wingspan+sits+down+with+Giles+as+he+talks+about+his+passion+for+acting.+

provided by Kyle Strickland

Pictured above: the theatre department’s fall showing of “Singing in the Rain,” back in 2018. Within the span of a few months, freshman Nicholas Giles has experienced an entire musical production, while also finding a new hobby in the process. In this week’s edition of Artistic Expressions, Wingspan sits down with Giles as he talks about his passion for acting.

Hannah Beeler, Staff Reporter

Theater is getting ready to get back on stage with auditions for the fall musical, Bright Star, Wednesday from 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the auditorium. 

“Auditions are a three step process,” junior Eva Guerra said. “First there is a workshop where people work through the music with an accompanist and talk about what they can improve on. Then the next day is the actual audition day. Finally there are callbacks for directors to see you again if they want it.”

Students that are not interested in being onstage but still want to be involved in the production can also interview to be a part of backstage crew.

“Students interested in working on lights, sound, costumes should sign up for an interview on the theatre call board in the Fine Arts wing,” technical theater director Laura Darce said. “We want to give opportunities for Liberty students to showcase their talents whether that is on or offstage.”

Bright Star follows the story of Alice Murphy who reconnects with the son she lost through her job as a newspaper editor.

“I think the challenge that will come with this audition for me is just nerves,” senior Mia Tremmel said. “Especially since I am going for one specific role. Everyone in the theater is very talented and we’ve all been practicing for auditions to some extent.”

A main theme of the show is coming home which is an idea the theater department witches to bring to life this year.

“To anyone thinking of auditioning, I would strongly encourage them to do so,” senior Tarini Pankanti said. “Even though it might be scary, trying new things is what makes you a better person, and by pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, you might just discover a new part of yourself.”