HOSA competitors qualify for State

Christine Hicks

Seniors Erin Abraham, Henry Youtt, and Aditi Vasudevan placed first place in Public Service Announcement.

Henry Youtt, Managing Editor

HOSA, an organization for future health professionals, competed in the Area 3 competition at R. L. Turner High School on Friday and Saturday against more than 40 other high school teams. Students competed in events including Dental Science, Prepared Speaking, Public Service Announcement, and Career Display Board. For those who placed either first, second, or third place, they will advance to the state competition April 14-16 in Galveston.

When their names were called, HOSA placers were welcomed to stage to accept their awards.
Sarah Samuel
When their names were called, HOSA placers were welcomed to stage to accept awards.

“It always makes me so proud to see my students succeed,” health science teacher Maribeth Thomas said. “Being a HOSA sponsor is gratifying knowing that we are watching the future of healthcare gain confidence with their amazing accomplishments in HOSA.”

Senior Shahir Ahmed placed third in Job-Seeking Skills, junior Justin Lee placed first in Epidemiology, junior Nirajana Save placed third in Extemporaneous Health Poster, sophomores Shivani Amara, Haniah Bashir, Kanika Kappalayil, and Aashnika Sujit placed fourth Biomedical Debate, and seniors Erin Abraham, Henry Youtt, and Aditi Vasudevan placed first in Public Service Announcement.

“As they called out the winning teams, I could feel myself losing hope that we would be called,” Abraham said. “Then, for first place, they called Frisco Liberty and everybody in our row stood up holding hands, and we ran to the stage. It was an exhilarating experience. I couldn’t believe it.”