Book Review: Freaks Like Us

Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught will pull readers in but ultimately doesnt live up to its potential.

Ariela Rodrigues

“Freaks Like Us” by Susan Vaught will pull readers in but ultimately doesn’t live up to its potential.

Ariela Rodrigues, Guest Contributor

Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught is one book that many librarians will most likely recommend if you like books where people are lost for the whole time. In a nutshell, a boy’s best friend gets lost and people look for her.

Jason is a student in high school that struggles with bullying and with the constant voices that make everyday situations harder than what it would be for any of us. One day after school, Sunshines mother calls in and says that Sunshine never came home. The search begins with the F.B.I. and an army base getting involved and giving Sunshine 24 hours to be found. The story goes through twists and turns to give the reader a sense of what Jason is going through.

The book is in the first person and very well written. When reading, it’s easy to get into the story with many twists and turns that many wouldn’t see coming. Vaught puts the reader in the shoes of a boy that has schizophrenia. Jason is going through a constant struggle while dealing with literally losing his best friend, Sunshine.

Unfortunately all the characters are always acting sad and worthless and that nobody appreciates them. If the book had a little bit more life and enthusiasm, it would of have been  much better.

From another’s point of view, book store, Barnes and Noble gave this novel a 4.6 out of five stars and Goodreads gives it a 3.82 out of five stars. Google gave this juvenile fiction novel four stars out of five.

The story is well developed and it immerses the reader; however, the characters could’ve been more lively and that’s a flaw Freaks Like Us can’t overcome.