Campus celebrates women’s equality day

provided by Jeff Crowe

To celebrate women’s equality day, the culture and diversity committee on campus has organized an activity that students can do to commemorate this day.

Kirthi Gummadi, Executive Producer

Thursday is Women’s Equality Day, which celebrates the advances made towards gender equality, specifically the ratification of the 19th amendment in 1920, which gave women the right to vote. 

For senior Trisha Dasgupta, the day signifies not only the progress that has been made but also serves as a reminder of how progress must continue. 

“I think that having a day for Women’s equality is definitely a reminder for people of the work that we still need to do,” Dasgupta said. “We have come a long way and I’m super proud of the work that I’ve seen from the feminists before me and the generations before me, but systemically all around WOC and Indigenous women, queer women, and young girls are discriminated against. I think it’s just a good way to keep the fight going and make sure we’re advocating for all women all around the world.”    

To celebrate women’s equality day the culture and diversity committee on campus has organized an activity that students can do to commemorate this day.

“The culture and diversity committee is celebrating Women’s Equality Day and we’re really excited to offer a postcard option that you can go to the library and write a thank you note to a woman who has made a difference in your life,” social studies teacher Sarah Wiseman said. “That’s kind of the initiative, if you can think of a woman in your life, you can drop by the library and pick that up.”