Beauty trends lead to new club

Shelly Powers (left) and Natalie Clark (right) started the Cosmetology Club after their makeup work in Epic Proportions.

Marisa Uddin

Reilly Martens, Staff Reporter

Beauty trends are all over Twitter and Instagram with things such as contouring and on fleek eyebrows. With no surprise, interest in this industry is expanding rapidly and it’s led to a new club on campus. Founded by sophomores, Natalie Clark and Shelly Powers, the origins of the new Cosmetology Club can be traced to their backstage work for the play Epic Proportions.

While painting actors’ faces received many compliments and questions, many other girls admired their talent and even offered to have them do special occasion makeup for a fee.

“We replied by saying makeup is actually quite easy,” Clark said. “And that we’d be willing to teach them. People seemed to really like that idea which gave us the inspiration.”

Topics covered during club meetings include DIY (do it yourself) recipes, skin care, makeup tips and tricks, keeping brushes clean, and self confidence. The latter being the most important factor to the club and arguably the reason its initiation.

“That’s one of our biggest things,” Powers said. “Finding a way to be confident with yourself. Showing your creativity through yourself with or without makeup.”

Along with gaining some beauty  pointers, another important goal is one of diversity and all inclusiveness.

“We’re really hoping to give people a sense of safety and community in a fun and creative way,” Clark said. “I really want this to become something beyond just Shelly and myself, I want everyone to feel like this is their own club.”