Rhea of sunshine: homecoming

Morgan Kong

In this weekly column, Wingspan staff reporter Rhea Advani provides her take on a variety of topics.

Rhea Advani, Staff Reporter

It’s that time of year again.

Fancy bow ties, strappy heels, long lashes, acrylic nails… you guessed it: homecoming.

Homecoming is the mark of the start of the new school year. It’s a fun time when everyone comes together to kick off a good semester and to get everyone excited for all that’s in store for them. This includes a week of fun activities, including the homecoming game and of course the dance. However, there’s one thing that I’ve found that’s very controversial when the homecoming season comes around…

Mums and garters. 

As a freshman, I didn’t have a date to homecoming so I was super jealous of all of my friends who got mums and garters even though I knew you could just get one for yourself. I wanted to be traditional and have my date get one for me. So I ended up not having a mum but I still went to the dance itself.

When my sophomore year came around, I realized that mums and garters are actually the stupidest thing ever, no offense to anyone who may like them. But they’re just extremely weird, noisy, and unnecessarily expensive. 

Last school year, due to COVID, there was no actual homecoming, but I still went to dinner with all of my friends and we had such a fun time. Now that I’m a junior, and do have a date this year, I would never want to have to wear a loud, jingly thing around me all day and walk around with it to show off to all of my friends. 

The reason this topic came to my mind is because it’s not only me who feels this way. I was actually not surprised to learn that many of my fellow classmates feel the same way about it. Yes, the whole hoco-proposal (asking someone to homecoming) process is super cute and all, but that’s the extent I would go with my date, and obviously the dance. 

Anyways, I hope you guys have an amazing week, and get ready for homecoming!