Counselor weighs in on college application process

Caroline Attmore

With college applications on the horizon, Frisco ISD is hosting their second Find Your Future Night event. It will take place on Tuesday at Memorial High School.

Charlotte Cleckler, Guest Contributor

Early admission deadlines for college applications are fast approaching with many seniors deep into the application process, but counselor Andrea Douglas cautions students against filling out too many applications. 

“Some kids think you have to apply to 15 schools and you know that’s really not the case,” Douglas said. “We want kids to really be very specific with the schools that they are applying to, you don’t have to apply to a ton of schools. Which is something that I think kids sometimes get caught up in.” 

Part of the application process involves figuring out which schools take which test scores. Some schools aren’t requiring either the SAT or ACT, some schools require a test, and then others like Texas A&M chose not to superscore tests.

Students such as senior Leslie Coyne have taken the ACT multiple times in order to get the best scores possible on all sections of the test. 

“I want to get into the schools I apply to,” she said. “I don’t want to get any rejection letters.”

Seniors and parents often have questions about the college application process and the school’s counselors are there to help. 

“We just did a coffee with the counselors last week and that was primarily for parents. Obviously, we are always here for questions,” Douglas said. “There is the college fair coming up and there’s a financial aid night. There are different things the district and Liberty will kind of provide throughout the year.”