Cross country makes a final stop before districts

Emily Vetvick

Cross country races into their final meet of the season before heading to districs. The team looks to come out strong on Thursday and finish what they started at the beginning of the season.

Michael Coppinger, Staff Reporter

Arriving at the last stop before the District 9-5A meet on Oct. 14, the cross country teams are  running at the Ken Gaston “Race at The Lake” Invitational on Thursday at Lynn Creek Park

Not surprisingly, health is of chief concern for several among the team at this point in the season. 

“We have only run two meets with everyone healthy,” boys’ coach Ben Manning said. “Staying healthy, whether that be protecting our legs or keeping from getting sick, is important for our success at district”.

On the other hand, freshman Sofia Golladay, who led the way for the girls’ team in the most recent meet, looks to continue her success at this meet on to the next. 

“Usually, I try to stick with a group of girls my speed and pass them at the end,” Golladay said. “Last race I was able to have a strong finish where I started sprinting around the 400 meter mark”.

Thursday’s race holds particular importance among those on the team with regional aspirations as it’s being held at the same site as the regional meet Oct. 25-26.

“We’re going to have to face Rockhill here in a few weeks,” junior Takumi Harima said. “We need to learn as much as we can about the course.”