AP Human Geography classes head outdoors for geocaching

AP+Human+Geography+students+head+outside+to+experience+human+geography+outside+of+the+classroom%2C+and+in+a+way+teachers+hope+benefits+the+students+more.+This+activity+strives+to+be+both+interactive+and+fun%2C+while+also+learning+about+absolute+location.+

Kasey Harvey

AP Human Geography students head outside to experience human geography outside of the classroom, and in a way teachers hope benefits the students more. This activity strives to be both interactive and fun, while also learning about absolute location.

Alyssa Murphy and Aashi Oswal

AP Human Geography classes are participating in a scavenger hunt activity to learn about coordinates for the first time in two years.

Last year, AP Human Geography students were unable to participate in the geocaching scavenger hunt activity due to the pandemic. But that has no hold on AP Human Geography classes this year.

“We just finished Unit One in which students were looking at absolute and relative location, and so this was a fun activity, where they got to use real-world examples for the absolute location with latitude and longitude,” AP Human Geography teacher Amanda Peters said. “It was kind of a geocaching type activity, where they were given about 12 clues from around the school, and they had to find those locations and then get the absolute coordinates, plug them in, and it was a competition who can get the fastest, and who can have the most accurate location coordinates.”

Freshman Angie Fei thinks it was nice to change things up from the class’s normal routine.

“The clues for the geocaching are pointing toward things outside of campus, so we have to run around the entire school to look for the coordinates,” Fei said. “I enjoyed it because it was different from doing knowledge checks all the time and because we actually got to go outside and interact with the environment.”

This project is both thrilling and educational, as students are able to compete to get the most accurate coordinates in the scavenger hunt.

“I think the kids had a great time, they had about 45 minutes to go through all the clues, there was lots of running, lots of laughing, and then we ended the experience with a popsicle party,” Peters said.