This “Bubble” won’t burst: band continues in 2021 competitive season

The Redhawk marching band has begun competition season with their new show Bubbly. Many students anticipate this falls performances to showcase what they were able to work on over the summer.

Isabelle Raade

The Redhawk marching band has begun competition season with their new show “Bubbly.” Many students anticipate this fall’s performances to showcase what they were able to work on over the summer.

Grant Milleson, Staff Reporter

From the halftime show to the main event, the Redhawk band is well underway in their 2021 competitive season with their next performance Saturday at the McKinney Marching Invitational.

“The band will be performing our competition show titled, ‘Bubbly’,“ assistant director of band Cecily Yoakam said. “The show is literally centered around bubbles and meant to be light and joyful.”

The show contains musical selections by Michael Giacchino from the Pixar movie ‘Inside Out, Gustav Holst’s ‘Jupiter: the Bringer of Joyfrom ‘the Planets’ Lou Reed’s ‘Vanishing Act’, The Turtles’ ‘Happy Together, Let the Sunshine Infrom the musical  Hair’.

“For the contest, I feel extremely excited to put my marching skills to the test and extremely motivated to achieve the best results possible, not just individually, but our band as a whole,” freshmen Suhaib Sabir said. “My personal goals for this contest include performing to the best of my abilities, and achieving more than what I have ever accomplished from the beginning of Marching Band. My goals for the whole band include each member performing to the best they possibly can, and working together as a team in order to achieve our success.”

The competition is a chance for sophomore Shivansh Twari to showcase his marching and musical skills he has been preparing since the summer.

“I think we are definitely prepared to do well this time based on how much we have been rehearsing and working towards this,” Twari said. “My personal goals are to make sure to use all my skills beginning from the summer to perform as well as I can. I also hope to become as musical as possible. My goals for the whole band are for us to play as seamlessly as possible, making our show look fluid.”

Although the band is hoping to advance to finals, their main goal is to put on a good performance and perform the best that they can.

“Our goal for the band at this contest is to have the best run through of our 2021 show, ‘Bubbly’, yet,” Yoakam said. “We would love to make it to finals competition, but at the end of the day, our goal is to do the absolute best we can and put our best foot forward to have a great show.”