Cross country races into district meet

Emily Vetvick

With Districts insight, the Redhawks take the course to prepare for the battle ahead. With high hopes for the meet, athletes from all grade levels are seeking record scores.

Michael Coppinger, Staff Reporter

Cross country competes in the District 9-5A meet on Friday morning at Warren Park after it was rescheduled due to rainy weather Thursday. 

“We’ve been staying on our training with good attitudes,” coach Ben Manning said. “I think we’re in good shape.”

One of the top girls, freshman Sofia Golladay has been recently cleared from injury to compete in Friday’s meet, and she hopes to continue to make a positive impact on the team’s results.

“I think it’s going to be a challenge,” Golladay said via text. “I haven’t been able to prepare as much as other people, but that makes me more determined to run my best race.”

On the boys’ side, junior Fernando Levya-Montiel is focused on future stages of the postseason, and sees this meet as a crucial stepping stone.

“Just to know that we have that shot at state,” Levya-Montiel said. “That’s what’s so important right now.”