Mexican American studies course approved for next school year

Aden

Mexican-American studies is an ethnic studies class now available to students on campus. The class provides students with the opportunity to learn more about underrepresented groups in the United States by teaching about Mexican-American culture and history.

Aarya Oswal, Staff Reporter

Beginning with the 2022-23 school year, Mexican American studies will be added to all Frisco ISD high school classes. The year-long course will cover the history and significance of Mexican American culture.

This is not the first ethnic study class, as African American studies is now available for students beginning with the 2021-22 school year. These two classes are so far the only two ethnic classes approved by the State Board of Education, created to help promote the respect and understanding of diverse cultures by allowing students to put themselves in the eyes of others in that ethnic group throughout history.

According to Frisco ISD Managing Director of Secondary Teaching and Learning, Meridith Manis, these classes are for those who want to gain a deeper understanding of topics that aren’t covered by the average social studies class.

“Students who take ethnic studies courses are able to gain a deeper understanding of topics that there simply isn’t enough time to cover in other social studies classes,” Manis said in a Frisco ISD news release. “In addition, the courses utilize an inquiry-based approach to enhance student engagement. Students have the opportunity to research overarching questions based on themes to drive learning in the classroom.”