Big sis little sis program makes its mark

Remi Williams

The Coyotes head to The Nest on Tuesday to face the Redhawk volleyball team in a district matchup. They are coming off a win on Friday against Emerson, and hope to carry the same momentum into Tuesday.

Brianna Walsh, Staff Reporter

From freshmen to seniors, volleyball players were matched up with little or big sisters to help foster bonding throughout the program this past season.

“I think it’s a great thing because it pairs kids together and builds relationships even though they may be on different teams,” head coach Clark Oberle said

The big sis/little sis program was put in place to help develop chemistry in the program, according to freshman Bea Dunlop.

“Having leadership in volleyball is one of the most important things,” Dunlop said. “If you’re constantly talking on the court then there’s room for less mistakes which helps you win, and makes the game overall more enjoyable.” 

Not only can the players build leadership skills together, but they are also creating bonds with activities throughout the week.

“There’s so many other things we do other than character talk,” Dunlop said. “We go and play sand volleyball together, we give small gifts every Tuesday to each other, play games together, and we have Fun Friday which is just when practice consists of games like Queen of the Court.” 

For the freshmen, they now have the comfort of knowing that they have a mentor that they can rely on and look up to.

Senior Madi Manning has experience as both a Little Sis and a Big Sis.

“Being on both sides of the program has shown me that I was once a freshman too,” Manning said. “And that just because I’m a senior now doesn’t give me the right to treat freshmen or any class below me with disrespect.”

Even though this program strives to help the girls while on the court, it also strives to improve their overall self off the court. 

“We want to grow the whole person,” freshman coach Kristin Binyon said. “And help each athlete reach her full potential on and off the court.”