Random Thoughts: pick up an instrument

Staff+reporter+Aden+McClune+shares+his+perspective+on+various+issues+in+his+weekly+column%2C+Random+Thoughts.+

Hanl Brown

Staff reporter Aden McClune shares his perspective on various issues in his weekly column, Random Thoughts.

Aden McClune, Staff Reporter

One of the best decisions I ever made was to learn an instrument. I started, like most others that I know, practicing away at the recorder in the fourth grade. “Hot Cross Buns” was the tune of the time, and I could barely play anything else without seeing birds dropping out of trees and flowers wilting within a couple of miles. Most of my class was the same, and it was most certainly not the greatest introduction to the musical world.

That changed, however, in middle school. Being quite gullible, I managed to get talked into joining my middle school’s orchestra program, “playing” (if you could call it that) the violin. Despite being quite godawful, just being in the group gave me a genuine sense of camaraderie I didn’t quite get the hang of before. Field trips, concerts, all offered genuine accomplishments, despite being twelve, and in the seventh grade. 

When I entered high school, I felt that I outgrew the orchestra, and more rightly couldn’t be bothered to audition for the school’s orchestra. I picked up the guitar and bass, and despite lacking a group to play with, I managed to retain my meager attention span. It gave me a decent hobby, with something to work at other than school.

Now, these examples so far are purely anecdotal, but there are some real studies to back it up. Try it, it could be anything. A guitar, a piano, whatever you can get your hands on really. But whatever you choose, odds are you’ll enjoying learning to play it.