FISD Invitational gives swim a preview of competition

The+swim+and+diving+teams+saw+first+place+finishes+and+record+breaks+at+the+5A+TISCA+Meet+Thursday-Sunday.+%E2%80%9COverall+the+team+did+excellent.+I+am+very+proud+of+each+and+every+swimmer+and+diver%2C%E2%80%9D+head+swim+and+dive+coach+Zach+Gnoza+said.+

The swim and diving teams saw first place finishes and record breaks at the 5A TISCA Meet Thursday-Sunday. “Overall the team did excellent. I am very proud of each and every swimmer and diver,” head swim and dive coach Zach Gnoza said.

Kaden Groom, Sports Reporter

Swimming and diving begin their race to state Saturday at the Frisco ISD Invitational meet at the Bruce Eubanks Natatorium.

“We are looking to get up and compete,” swim head coach Nick Dion said. “This is a great opportunity to see where we are at and use it as a measuring stick and get ready for the next steps that we need to take as the season goes along.”

With all of the work that the team has put in, Dion is confident in their ability to compete well against their competition.

“We have been training really hard. I think where our athletes are as far as our conditioning and training is great,” he said. “We are in a good spot to where when we need to peak we will peak at the right time. I’ve challenged a lot of our athletes to be prepared and come in with the right mindset and they have been ready from day one.” 

With many of the Frisco schools participating in the same event, the meet is an opportunity to get an outlook on the competition.

“We are going to be seeing a lot of the people we see within our district,” Dion said. “It will be a great opportunity to get up and swim against some of those folks and get to see what the outlook looks like going into January as we get into that district competition.”

Sophomore Dio Vega is ready for the heart of the season to begin.

“I am very excited that competition season is here, I am always excited and looking forward to swimming,” Vega said. “This is my opportunity to qualify for TISCA. The expectations I have of myself are very high.”