Texas Boys State Nominees Announced

Legislation%2C+executive%2C+and+judicial+decisions+have+been+made+an+opportunity+for+three+juniors+on+campus%2C+after+announcements+rolled+out+Saturday+that+the+trio+would+be+embarking+on+a+trip+to+Austin+this+summer+for+the+Texas+Boys+State+conference.+

Haniah Bashir

Legislation, executive, and judicial decisions have been made an opportunity for three juniors on campus, after announcements rolled out Saturday that the trio would be embarking on a trip to Austin this summer for the Texas Boys State conference.

Caroline Caruso, Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Legislation, executive, and judicial decisions have been made an opportunity for three juniors on campus after announcements rolled out Saturday that the trio would be embarking on a trip to Austin this summer for the Texas Boys State conference

Getting to “learn by doing” as the program mentions, attendees of the week-long conference will have the opportunity to handcraft their own government and enact policies alongside their peers. 

“Once we get there we get split up into teams to create our own government and state,” junior Grant Mileson said. “You have to run the government with a bunch of other people. You also get to elect people into positions of leadership. I think it will be kind of cool to see how everything turns out as a result of our own personal decision-making.”

Aside from the camp, the program itself is one of 50 different movements operating around the nation, all a part of American Legion Boys State. 

As separate corporations, Boys State programs vary in content and method of procedure, but each adheres to the same basic concept: teaching government from the township to the state level,” as mentioned on the Texas Boys State website.