Girls’ basketball falls short in season opening game

Addy Schick

Girls basketball kicked off their season with a game against South Grand Prairie High School where they lost 52-47. The team will not let this stop them however has their next game is just around the corner.

Kaden Groom, Sports Reporter

The girls’ basketball team began its 2021-2022 season on Friday, falling to South Grand Prairie High School 52-47.

“We played hard,” head coach Ross Reedy said. “We were in a game where we hoped we could push the scoreboard. We just didn’t knock down some shots. We had a lot of really good looks, looks that we wouldn’t take back and we just didn’t knock them down. When three of your best players start out 0/5 then you know you are going to be in for a tough night.”

Despite starting off slow, the Redhawks began to heat up and went on a 17-2 run in the second half, but it wasn’t enough. 

“I think we did really well,” sophomore Keyera Roseby said. “We had an amazing game and we just fell short. We are still going to keep working hard in practice and the film room and prepare for our tournament.”

The Mavs Falls Classic, hosted at various schools throughout the district, begins Thursday and Reedy is looking for the team to learn as much as it can. 

“You always want to have a winning attitude, a winning mentality,” Reedy said. “Coming out of that game knowing where we are menatlly and physically was the biggest key, playing teams that will make us find different ways to problem solve or expose areas of perceived weaknesses or highlight an area of strength that we didn’t know we had, that is important. There’s a lot of little w’s that you want to take throughout the entire year and early in the year it’s gathering up as many little w’s as possible so that you can have a good foundation to build on.”