Natatorium construction draws to a close for swim teams

With+twelve+swim+teams+in+the+district+sharing+the+same+swim+facility%2C+construction+of+the+new+natatorium+to+alleviate+pressure+on+the+lone+pool+in+FISD+is+drawing+to+a+close.+It+will+be+located+on+North+Country+Road+between+Memorial+Stadium+and+Bruce+Eubanks+Natatorium.+

Remi Williams

With twelve swim teams in the district sharing the same swim facility, construction of the new natatorium to alleviate pressure on the lone pool in FISD is drawing to a close. It will be located on North Country Road between Memorial Stadium and Bruce Eubanks Natatorium.

Harley Classe, Sports Editor

After years of sharing a single pool amongst all Frisco ISD high schools, construction of a new FISD natatorium, located adjacent to the Bruce Eubanks Natatorium and Kuykendall Stadium on North County Road, is coming to a close.

“The new natatorium is going to double our water space,” Frisco ISD Athletic Director Grace McDowell said. “It’s going to allow our teams to have a larger number of students involved and it’s going to allow us to expand programming like our new district club that we are just getting started with and just provide more opportunities for students in general.”

There are now 12 high schools in the school district and currently half of them get to hold practice in the original natatorium before school starts while the other half takes it in the afternoon.

Even with this split, only about two lanes in the pool are allotted to each team.

“I would have to say more lane space and seeing more teams in the morning is what I am most excited for,” junior Maria Oushalkas said. “Right now I only get to see half my competitors since some of them train in the afternoon. I think it will be a huge advantage to be able to see them while I’m practicing as well.”

According to McDowell, this addition will not only make way for more available lanes but also the opportunity for team growth.

“It requires a lot of planning on our side with staffing and budget and training new coaches and hiring new coaches,” McDowell said. “But it is an exciting time I think for students as well as for coaches because they get to go into a new situation and build new traditions and it’s a lot of fun.”