Back on the mat, wrestling season begins

Squaring up with his opponent, senior Prince Ugoh looks to take a shot. The Redhawks take the mat Wednesday as the 2021-2022 wrestling season begins.

Michael Coppinger, Sports Reporter

Wrestling is back on the mat Wednesday, hosting their first dual of the 2021-2022 season versus Birdville High School

“The team is fun, energetic, and they love to get after it,” head coach Cody Bridwell said. “We are looking for our older team leaders to step up and show the younger team members how to handle themselves on and off the mat.”

Senior Garrett Reeves is ready to prove himself Wednesday after an intense offseason and thorough training regimen.

“We’ve been pushing beyond our limits in both the wait room and the mat room every day,” Reeves said. “I want to be sure to keep the mistakes to a minimum and learn from the ones I do make.”

Hoping to lead and encourage her teammates, senior Sarah Ramos is ready to set the standard early in the season.

“From talking to my teammates throughout preseason, I think we’re all ready to get on the mat and finally put all the work we’ve put in towards going against other teams,” Ramos said via text. “I expect to see some victories not only for myself, but for my team as well.”

Nonetheless, Redhawk Wrestling is excited to represent the school, and encourages support from students.

“I know we will do our best to make all our fans proud on Wednesday night,” Bridwell said. “Be sure to come out and watch beginning at 6:00 pm.”