Drumroll please, band begins concert season

Sophomore+Jemil+Logan+plays+his+clarinet+for+the+football+game.+As+the+marching+band+season+has+come+to+a+close%2C+Redhawk+students+have+been+rehearsing+for+All-Region+auditions.+As+results+have+come+out%2C+it+seems+over+36+students+will+be+a+part+of+this+years+All-Region+program.+

Pujan Shah

Sophomore Jemil Logan plays his clarinet for the football game. As the marching band season has come to a close, Redhawk students have been rehearsing for All-Region auditions. As results have come out, it seems over 36 students will be a part of this year’s All-Region program.

Grant Milleson, Staff Reporter

The competitive marching season is over, but the band is continuing to play their instruments, now focusing on concert music.

“We were disappointed to see the marching season end sooner than we had hoped,” assistant director of bands Cecily Yoakam said. “We are so proud of all the band students and are already looking forward to next year. Marching band is a lot of fun, and I enjoy them for a multitude of reasons. However, I am pumped for concert band this year.”

The band was two spots away from finals, however students are not letting that stop them from improving.

“I am disappointed that the marching season is over,” senior Alexander Vasilkovsky said. “However, I’m really excited for the concert season. I haven’t participated in a full orchestra in a couple of years, so I’m really excited to get another opportunity to play with the orchestra.”

The band is now shifting their attention to the Winter Extravaganza concert in December where they will combine with the orchestra to play festive music.

“We are also really looking forward to bringing the Winter Extravaganza back this year, and collaborating with the other Fine Arts ensembles, especially the orchestras,” Yoakam said. “I am really just looking forward to making music together, but also focusing on ensemble specific goals and watching each one of the four concert bands grow throughout the rest of the year.”

For senior Aravind Dharmalingam, concert band is a chance to play his instrument again, after being Drum Major for the marching band.

“I’m looking forward to concert band, because I’ve improved at horn so much over the summer and throughout the marching band and want to make some great music,” Dharmalingam said. “I’m looking forward to playing my horn after not being able to play in marching band because I conduct.”

However, the competitions are not over for the band, as they plan to perform and compete in the UIL Concert in April.

“Our goals for concert season are to continue to get better at performing and playing our instruments,” Yoakam said. “We hope to have a record number of students make the All-Region and All-State bands. Hopefully, we can continue to grow in skill level, strength, and confidence in our musical abilities to be the best we can be.”