Random Thoughts: early onset senioritis

Staff+reporter+Aden+McClune+shares+his+perspective+on+various+issues+in+his+weekly+column%2C+Random+Thoughts.+

Hanl Brown

Staff reporter Aden McClune shares his perspective on various issues in his weekly column, Random Thoughts.

Aden McClune, Staff Reporter

Senioritis is a problem. 

If you don’t already know what it is, “senioritis” refers to (usually satirically) the lack of motivation and casual depression a student may tend to experience towards the end of their last year of high school or college. You lose motivation for assignments, sleep more, and generally are much more apathetic regarding school than you usually would be. 

However, from most people that I have spoken to, senioritis is only a real problem toward the end of the year. Not the first semester. But for some reason, I find myself with a distinct lack of motivation, and no real inclination toward doing anything at all. School is dull, and while the projects and emails start piling up, I recoil, longing for home, where I can ignore the world and leave it until “tomorrow”, whenever that might be.

But the weather could also be a problem for some. Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD (which I always found very amusing), is a form of depression usually caused by lack of sunlight, occurring a certain time every year. A combination of senioritis and SAD could spell doom for the average slacker, with an overload of apathy possibly proving academically fatal.

I’m sure I’ll snap out of it eventually. Just doing this column on time is proof of that.