Redhawk baseball swings into action with tryouts

Redhawk baseball steps up to the plate this week with the first event of their 2021-2022 season, tryouts. This will take place through December 3 and will determine placement on three teams, Freshman, Junior Varsity, and Varsity, for roughly 60 athletes.

Michael Coppinger, Sports Reporter

The baseball team is now holding tryouts through Friday for placement on three teams, divided primarily by talent and grade level: freshman, JV, and varsity levels with approximately 20 players per team.

“There are several things we look for,” head coach Scott McGarrh said. “We want to see how they respond to failure during the tryout, if they are giving great effort, and if I can tell that they have worked and gotten better.”

For prospective players such as junior Makai Willingham, tryouts bring hope and excitement for the upcoming season.

“It feels really good to get back in the swing of things and I’ve really liked watching everyone go all out,” Willingham said. “It’s exciting for me because it brings a sense of preparation and intensity for the season.”

For freshman Jackson Pierce, tryouts present an opportunity to settle in and become familiar with teammates, but also display the weaknesses that come from a lengthy offseason

“I plan to relax and have fun,” Pierce said via text. “From what I’ve seen, we aren’t as strong in some spots, but we look like we can compete with anyone.”