Redhawks take it to the mat in Rockwall Invitational

Brian Seales

In a weekend of many matches, The Redhawks came out victorious over McKinney Boyd. For both the girls’ and boys’ teams, the meets were a success.

Michael Coppinger, Sports Reporter

After two weeks without a match, the wrestling team swings back into action Friday and Saturday in the Rockwall Invitational Tournament at Rockwall High School

With this new challenge comes excitement and anxiety, as the Redhawks hope to make a name for themselves in the competitive North Texas Region. For senior Kelly Masucci, this tournament brings an opportunity for redemption.

“I’m excited for this tournament,” Masucci said via text. “The last time we competed wasn’t my best day so I’m hoping to come back from that with some wins,” 

For others, like senior Slater Eggen, the scale of the tournament is an exciting return from last year’s reduced scale. 

“We weren’t able to have any tournaments last year because of corona,” Eggen said via text. “I’m looking forward to seeing how our team does in this one.”

Regardless, the Redhawks will be competing to win in this weekend’s competition.

“I’m gonna focus on the competition and exploiting the flaws in other teams’ wrestling forms,” Eggen said. “I try to focus on a few moves that I know I want to be able to hit so that I can imagine myself winning all my matches.”