Top 4 finishes lead the way for wrestling

Led by junior Mercede Alvarez who finished 2nd in her weight class, senior De’Leon Freeman and junior James-Ethan Harris who each finishing 4th in their respective weight classes, the Redhawks finished in 19th place at the Rockwall Invitational Tournament.

Michael Coppinger, Staff Reporter

Wrestling fought to a 19th place finish at the Rockwall Invitational Tournament on Friday and Saturday at Rockwall High School. The team boasted multiple top finishes, with senior De’Leon Freeman and junior James-Ethan Harris each finishing 4th out of 32 in their respective weight classes, as well as junior Mercede Alvarez finishing 2nd in her class.

As the season has continued, technique has proven to be make or break for the Redhawks. Freeman believes this success was due to proper execution of in-match technique.

“My footwork, hand-fighting, speed, and top game were all there,” Freeman said. “Because of that I was able to beat 2 state placers.”

Despite isolated success, the Redhawks hope to improve overall results by changing the focus of practice.

“From our performance in the last two tournaments, this week we’re going back to basics,” senior Sarah Ramos said. “We were all shown our week spots at Rockwall by facing good competition”