Piece by Piece: anxiety

Brian Higgins

Staff reporter Madison Saviano explores hot topics and issues that students face in her weekly column Piece by Piece.

Madison Saviano, Staff Reporter

I’ve had a lot of anxiety about college and my future and such, as I’m sure many seniors have. Thinking about it, or trying not to rather, frankly paralyzes my insides.

But there’s nothing to do about it now, and what will be, as they say, will be. That doesn’t leave much to grapple with. 

Inaction is (actually) contrary to my nature, as it is for most people I think. Even when we choose to procrastinate we still fill the time with something else. Sitting still is, in my opinion, one of the most anxiety producing activities ever. This is likely why people with anxiety often have insomnia.  

It’s a huge waste of time, procrastination, as is all time spent anxious. 

It feels like friction, like static energy being compressed, and for this it can be nauseating. I’m not sure how normal it is to struggle with, or the extent to which most people experience it. Lack of appetite seems common, as does sleeplessness. These are pretty serious things, really, and yet not nearly enough talked about. 

Yoga, meditation, and things of that sort are often prescribed, but in my personal practice (please sense I’m being facetious) I do the opposite of winding down. 

In my thinking, that “static energy” has to go somewhere, and unless you’re a seasoned yogi, making it completely dissipate is unlikely. 

For many nights I’ve laid in bed and waited for sleep that wouldn’t come. It took me a very long time to realize that I may as well have been fully awake and making something of my time. 

“Center yourself” is something I’ve long heard and long wanted to abide by, but I just don’t have much of an idea what it means. To me, it’s like telling someone “Everything will work itself out in the end.” It’s nice to know, but as to how to get there it lends little direction. 

I think it’s best to roll with your emotions. If psychologists are right and most all of our emotions are chemical, how much intervention can we really affect? We can try to redirect, but if that effort becomes counterproductive (i.e., you spend all night staring at the ceiling) then try living out whatever chemicals your brain is outputting.