Library holds reading competition with bingo

Provided by Chelsea Hamilton

LHS reading bingo helps foster fun competition among readers on campus. “I did this to get some students to read different genres or topics or ideas that they had not read before,” librarian Chelsea Hamilton said.

Ananya Kulkarni, Guest Contributor

Combining reading and a popular old game, the library is hosting a new challenge that comes to an end Friday

“It is a bingo format card that I borrowed from the Lebanon Trail High School librarian, Ms.Hill,” librarian Chelsea Hamilton said. “I did this to get some students to read different genres or topics or ideas that they had not read before.”

The competition is available for anyone to join in and could be a way to bring Redhawks together.

“I really think it is an activity that can generate some buzz,” senior Rishika Desai said. “I think it’s cool that the staff gets to participate as well because it allows for students and the teachers to interact about something other than just schoolwork and allows them to get to know each other better.”

While participants can expect to face categories such as “A Book with a Female Heroine”, “A Book That’s Considered a Classic” or “A Graphic Novel”, Hamilton does have a favorite.

“I do like “Book Suggested By a Teacher” because I really enjoy talking with students about things that I am reading and things that they are reading,” Hamilton said. “I think it will create a conversation about reading and literature.”

But there is a catch to this seemingly easy challenge.

“You cannot cross out two boxes for one book. I had to learn this the hard way. It was quite funny when I look back at it,” Desai said. “I submitted it quite smugly thinking I found a loophole but turns out Ms.Hamilton is pretty clever cause she figured it out pretty quickly.”

For more information, pick up a LHS Reading Bingo card at the library or ask librarian Chelsea Hamilton.