Wrestling goes festive with Santa Slam

Michael Martin

The Redhawk wrestling team heads into the holiday break with their annual Santa Slam meet. Both girls’ and boys’ teams will compete, looking to bring home a win for their respective schools.

Michael Coppinger, Sports Editor

Wrestling goes festive this weekend as they take on the Santa Slam dual and tournament on Friday and Saturday at Coppell High School. These events come on the heels of a successful performance last week, and the Redhawks hope to ride the positive results into this weekend’s competition.

For some athletes, such as senior Garrett Reeves, the competition is more than just a weekly event, as injury and pandemic complications have weakened some areas of experience.

“I’m looking forward to participating in my first varsity tournament this weekend,” Reeves said. “Last year we didn’t have tournaments because of COVID rules, so it’s exciting to be able to get back into it finally.”

Others, like sophomore Taylor Clapp, hope to gain footing in the face of previous inconsistencies. 

“I personally didn’t do my best last weekend,” Clapp said via text. “But it gave me a good opportunity to learn my strengths and weaknesses.”