Shooting to stay undefeated in district, Redhawks host Rangers

Addy Schick

Cheering each other on from the sidelines, girls’ basketball is proud of their efforts this season. Although moving further in playoffs was the team’s ultimate goal, building lifelong bonds with teammates is the best reward according to the players.

Kaden Groom, Staff Reporter

The Redhawks look to continue their perfect district record (7-0) Tuesday when they host Lone Star in District 9-5A play. Over the break the Redhawks played in the Sandra Meadows Classic where they went 4-1 with their only loss coming in overtime to the Duncanville Panthers.

“It’s a test on your physical and mental toughness. Physically you are getting pushed around, people are going to be in your shorts, going to push you around,” head coach Ross Reedy said.

“Most teams we played have someone over 6’1, 6’2 or two people over 6’, so you are at a height disadvantage so that helps you from a physical standpoint. From a mental standpoint it can be misleading where you just played 4 or 5 games and now you turn around and play one. And district games are always harder because people scout and play to tendencies where as in tournaments you get a little more respect. The games mean more in district.”

After playing in that tournament, the Redhawks are shifting their focus to Tuesday’s game against the Rangers, in which they know what to expect.

“Tempo, pace, athleticism, getting after it, messing the game up, making the game not look super pretty,” Reedy said. “They have multiple guards on the court at once, that means multiple ball handlers and a lot of attacking the basket looking to get to the foul line and every time we play them it’s a really close game.”

Sophomore Keyera Roberts is more than ready to go, looking to continue their 7-0 district record.

“The main focus is that we play how we play,” she said. “Lone Star is a good team but if we play how we are supposed to as a team, then we will have a good chance at beating them.”