Redhawk wrestlers pin down several wins

Competing in the Rumble at The Rock on Friday and Saturday, the wrestling teams saw improvement placing the highest out of the district teams at the tournament. Their results against tough competition give them motivation heading further into the season.

Michael Coppinger, Sports Reporter

The Redhawks wasted no time on Saturday at the Coyote Classic. The team placed six athletes in the top four, despite a roster depleted by COVID-19 complications. Leading the way was senior De’leon Freeman, who placed first in his weight class and will enter the Frisco ISD Tournament seeded at number one. 

“I definitely feel prepared for the tournament,” Freeman said. “I’m coming in as the number one seed and have a good chance of winning the tournament.”

The team seems confident in their ability to send athletes into the later stages of competition past district – and with the cancellation of Thursday’s duals, the Redhawks now focus completely on achieving success at the FISD Tournament.

“I believe that we have quite a few people that can make it far in districts, region, and state,” sophomore Taylor Clapp said. “As Coach Bridwell says, ‘The real season is only the beginning.’”