Redhawks cage the Racoons

Pujan Shah

Looking to secure a point for his team, number two, senior Trenton Walters takes a shot. After sinking the shot, the team shifts to defense, looking to stay in the lead.

Kaden Groom, Sports Reporter

The Redhawks girls’ and boys’ basketball teams hit the road to take on the Frisco Raccoons in District 9-5A play on Friday.

It felt good to end the week with another win,

— sophomore Keyera Roseby

For the girls’ team, it meant a continuation of a winning streak as the Redhawks doubled up the Raccoons 50-25 to win their 5th straight game.

Combining for 31 points, pacing The Redhawks (28-5, 14-1) was senior Jazzy Owens-Barnett and sophomore Keyera Roseby with senior Ashley Anderson chipping in with 7 points. 

After jumping ahead in the first half 26-12, the team never looked back. 

“It felt good to end the week with another win,” sophomore Keyera Roseby said. “I think we executed pretty well and we always try to put forth our best effort no matter what.” 

The Redhawks boys’ team continued the winning trend, taking down the Raccoons 61-49.

Leading the team in scoring were guards Trenton Walters and Cobe Coleman. Walters finished with 23 points, and Coleman finished with 11. Additionally, big man Jonathan Dupree-Buford finished with 10 points.

“We knew what we were capable of,” guard Trenton Walters said. “We played bad in the first, but we didn’t let that carry over into the second and that’s what got us the win.”