AcDec advances to state

via @liberty_acdec on Instagram

AcDec recently competed in their last competition of the school year and placed tenth overall in the state and with several individual awards.

Erika Pernis, Managing Editor

The Academic Decathlon team competed at the regional tournament on Friday ans Saturday, finishing 7th in the region.

Despite having to adjust to some last-minute changes, AcDec teacher Holley Mosley thinks the students performed well.

“Regionals went really well. They made us switch from a face-to-face competition to a virtual competition,” Mosley said. “So we kind of had to pivot quickly and get ready to give our speeches and interviews over Zoom. But it went really well and we are headed to the state tournament currently as 7th in the state.”

Although regionals went well, junior Shrenick Gannamani still sees room for improvement.

“It went pretty well,” Gannamani said. “I think between now and state we have some room to improve, specifically in math and economics. I felt like my overall performance was solid, but was worse than I could have done. I feel like if I can work on my time management, I should be able to improve my score for state.”

The team is advancing to the state tournament in San Antonio at the end of February, with hopes of moving up in rank.

“I really want to just see us improve,” Mosley said. “So in class, we’ll be studying and cramming the objective events, the stuff we just read and take written tests on we’ll be studying and practicing for those and taking quizzes, and then we’ll be giving our speeches and interviews and practicing some essay writing during class time and we have after school practice once a week, and that’s when we do a lot of our speech and interview practice as well.”

This story was updated on 2-1-22 to include 2nd place in Varsity Literature for Robbie Violante