Friendship Ball returns Saturday for Best Buddies

Caroline Caruso

Posing for a picture, Best Buddies vice president Marcela Perdron (center) smiles with former club members at the 2019 Friendship Ball. After two years of absence, the dance will be returning this Saturday, and Buddies will be returning to the dance floor.

Rachel Kim, Staff Reporter

The Redhawk Best Buddies chapter will be gathering with other chapters from North Texas for the Friendship Ball on Saturday at Highland Park High School.  

This is our [mid-year] regional event for all Best Buddies chapters,” club sponsor Cynthia Kays said. “It allows all chapters to come together and share an evening of fun, dancing, and socializing. They are able to meet new people and make new friends as well.”  

It allows all chapters to come together and share an evening of fun, dancing, and socializing,

— club sponsor Cynthia Kays

Before the event, members will gather together to enjoy a group dinner as a chapter.  

“Everyone that can make it before the event is going to be meeting a little earlier to eat dinner at Mi Cocina. We wanted to incorporate some small scale gathering before we met with other chapters,” chapter president, junior Caroline Grace Caruso said. “At the event, there will be tons of dancing, just like any formal, and I think the theme this year is glow-in-the-dark, so that will be interesting. Our buddies are super excited to hit the dance floor.”

Even though there is uncertainty among many members, Kays believes that students should still attend as there will not only be safety precautions put in place, but a chance for peer buddies and buddies alike to share time together. 

“I understand the hesitation with all the rise in COVID-19 cases; however, they will all be wearing masks. You must [also] sign a waiver when registering,” Kays said. “If you feel comfortable being around people, our students with IDDs need that support from their peers. Some of our buddies may not attend a dance or a prom, so this [gives] them an opportunity [where] they can share it with other buddy pairs [and] their peer buddy.” 

For Caruso, the Friendship Ball will give her the opportunity to see Best Buddies’ mission of inclusion and fellowship come to life. 

“I am looking forward to talking with other chapters and group leaders and seeing the Best Buddies Mission come together at one event,” Caruso said. “If there’s any event for a club member to attend, this is the one.”